Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stolen gun reregistered and one not so stolen

story of our beloved registry in action.

On Wednesday, the police came to my house and seized my Browning Citori which I had purchased used in February of this year. A couple months ago, the CFC left a message to contact them with an extension number. After trying to connect with them for these two whole months (a story in itself) I finally got through on Wednesday and was informed that my shotgun had been stolen in Toronto in 2001. The police were at my door 2 hours later and took it away saying that most likely the gun will be destroyed. As I had no idea of the history of the gun and was completely stunned by the sudden turn of events, there really wasn't much I could do.

I have since contacted the gentleman I purchased it from, a fellow CGNer who has been very helpful and as flabbergasted as I. He informed that he purchased the gun the gun in 2007 and provided me with details of that transaction including a CFC file number. This shows that the weapon has been in the system since at least 2007 and has been registered to at least 3 different people.

This leads to the obvious question of how a gun stolen in 2001 can have been in the system unnoticed for at least 2 years and why I wasn't informed that the gun was stolen at the time of transfer. Two billions dollars spent on the registry and this sort of thing happens. As things stand now, I'm definitely out a fine shotgun.

-- squeasel (CGN)

One of my hunting buddies was called by the RCMP, or SQ, I forget which, and was told they had his shotgun that was stolen. My buddy quickly replied "it was stolen????" The cop responds, "yes sir, I have it right here"
It took my buddy 15 minutes to make the cop believe that his shotgun was not stolen, and that he was looking at it in his safe as they were chatting on the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment