Friday, October 29, 2010

2 guns from one....

My FN FAL has a serial number on the upper and a serial number on the lower. The registry, in its infinite wisdom decided to list both serial numbers on the reg cert. So now, I could split that rifle in half, get another unregistered FN and swap out the upper and lower and end up with two rifles legally registered to a single reg cert.

No, I have NOT done this. But in theory I could.
-------------
Here are my two stories says Paulz

1. Similar to Suputin, I have a "mixmaster" FN. With an AR-15, the lower receiver is the "firearm", in the FN it is the upper. My reg cert lists the serial number on the lower. In theory, I may be legally liable for having an unregistered prohib, since the serial number on the upper (the "legal" firearm), is not the same as what is written on the reg cert.

2. Bought a Browning Cittori O/U shotgun from a guy at my club. Had infinite trouble (both he and I) getting it transfered. The serial number on the reg cert did not match the serial number on the gun. The nice lady at the CFC explained that the serial number should be a certain number of letters and numbers and should be located by the safety on the tang. The number on the reg cert had no letters whatsoever.

After much discussion, and search on the gun, we finally found a number stamped on the gun (hidden under the foreend) that matched the number on the reg cert. Note that the number on the reg cert was on the barrel, which is made to be easilly disassembled from the gun, and was probably a batch number or possible originally from another gun.

Now, in theory, the RCMP could (again) have charged me with illegal possesion, since the gun and its actual serial number did not show up in the database. In other words, my gun was officially no the gun on the reg cert. Likewise, if at any point in the past it had been stolen, there would be no way to trace it or prove it was stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment