Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ghost firearms, long transfers, etc

I had a Ruger 10/22 LR, registered with the wrong serial number on the registration card. Tried to advise the CFC of their error, after numerous attempts (buisy signals phone calls, 2 letters over 2 yrs), it took approx. 5 yrs for the CFC to send me a revised registration card. I kept all my paperwork in case I was stopped by Police. What could I have done, I called them xxx, wrote them xx, having correct registration/serial numbers were not a priority to them??? Registration saves lives?, I don't think so!
-- bush24

The CFC still has a restricted firearm registered to me that I never owned...a site sponsor sold me a restricted firearm and accidentally transferred two of the same model to me even though I ordered and recieved only one. The vendor immediately corrected the mistake on their end, we re-transferred this "ghost" firearm back to them, and still, even though I have the paperwork showing it was transferred back to the vendor, it came up as registered to me during a recent discussion with the CFC. At this point, the CFC database has no credibility whatsoever...
-- shootemup

I recently had a new barrel installed on a rifle.
It wound up being longer than original. I did my homework and research and since the rifle was originally purchased in the mid 90's there was already record of it so i did as i figured was the right thing. I contacted the local RCMP Firearms office, asked what i needed to do, she said come down, have it measured and verified to correct the original dimensions. I figured no problem, this isn't so bad.
Your registry paper work says barrel length is greater than whatever the default measurement is on that form, but they have record of the exact length which makes me wonder right there why our own paper work can't have the correct data.
Second, she proceeded to screw together a metal cleaning rod to insert it in the end of my new Krieger barrel, i said "no, no..............you won't be doing that, " luckily I had my wooden dowel emergency measuring stick with me, i took care of that myself.
Ok, so, all this was fine and dandy, no big deal.
So, she proceeded to verify all information, guess what , they didn't have the correct serial number that was on the rifle.
So for 15 years i had in my possession A rifle that belonged to no one. What if I ever had been stopped and their records on file indicate that wasn't my firearm? Would that have been an expensive and nightmarish situation. not any fault of my own. Can't imagine how bad this could have got.
-- Kelly Timoffee

I purchased a P-38 from Tradex as a "collectors piece", took EIGHT MONTHS before they approved the transfer!-- Griffoneur

No comments:

Post a Comment