Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sawed off or not?

Legally purchased a Remington 870 that was previously registered and transfered into my name.
6 months later I received a notice by mail that the shotgun was being confiscated as I do not hold a prohib license and they re-classified my shotgun.
The claim was I "sawed" off the barrel.
The shotty was previously registered and transferred with no issues but some how the magical registry detected that I sawed the barrel down.
I can't prove I didn't they can't prove I did, but registry trumps.
With little help from the NFA or CSSA other than advice to buy a new barrel and get the CFO to inspect it. I did so and am now in the clear, but my old barrel that was "sawed off" was confiscated and destroyed.
Anyone with less of a fighting spirit than me would have lost the whole gun, I just lost a lot of money and time is all. Whole situation prolly took years off my life.
Magnum Peanut

Colin:
I think this might have been one of the shotguns modified illegally by the SQ and then sold off as surplus, the SQ did not have the correct authority to modify barrels.

No comments:

Post a Comment